The BAM Companies (BAM) began in 2010 in the heart of Indianapolis and is affectionately referred to as the “BAMFAM” by its employees. BAM Capital, one of the three brands under The BAM Companies umbrella, is a team that knows how to succeed! This small, talented group of individuals knows what it takes to close the deal. No one is afraid to hear new ideas, change, adapt, or constantly evolve. BAM Capital is also a place where mutual respect and understanding are paramount, and everyone on the team is genuinely cared for. We encourage you to join this incredible team, and succeed with us!
This position is a great opportunity to join the legal department of a growing commercial real estate company. This addition to the in-house legal department is necessary to support continuing growth. Reporting to the General Counsel, the successful candidate will lead certain aspects of and be responsible for real estate transaction activity, private securities matters, general commercial contract matters and managing outside counsel.
Key components to being successful in this position will be (a) being a trusted advisor and legal counselor to BAM Management and its affiliates; and (b) having a collaborative, creative, and assertive mindset.
- Provide legal advice and counsel to the acquisition team on acquisitions, dispositions, and joint venture collaborations.
- Coordinate the delivery of high-quality legal counsel from deal inception to due diligence and closing for real estate transactions.
- Draft, negotiate and participate in the review of various transaction documents associated with real estate acquisitions and dispositions, coordinating with outside counsel and consultants as may be appropriate.
- Work with the General Counsel and acquisition team in structuring complex transactions; identify risks and concerns while presenting potential alternatives and solutions to challenging deal matters.
- Challenge existing thinking and present alternative solutions to ensure deal decisions result in intended benefits.
- Manage and hold others accountable for matters such as permitting, filings, regulatory approvals, and regulatory compliance activities.
- Provide legal support and strategic thinking for corporate governance, lending, securities and management activities.
- Be an effective advocate and advisor to internal teams to address and provide practical legal solutions, including with respect to human resources matters.
- Interpret contract and compliance requirements, obligations and risk exposure and advise the business as to appropriate course(s) of action.
- Help lead continuous improvement by offering suggestions to standard forms of agreement and other legal processes.
- Manage outside counsel as may be appropriate.
- Completion of law school with a Juris Doctor degree and admission to the bar and in good standing in the State of Indiana.
- 2+ years of experience as a transactional attorney focused on mergers and acquisitions and/or real estate, together with contracting expertise and private securities knowledge.
- Demonstrated successful leadership and collaboration with colleagues and ability to develop solutions with effective presentation of risks.
- Proven ability to prioritize and manage simultaneous deadlines and priorities.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to collaborate with colleagues and take a business-oriented approach while identifying and balancing legal risks and providing succinct, accurate and pragmatic advice.
- Exceptional analytical skills, independent judgment, a desire to learn, and an ability to take on and prioritize a wide variety of complex matters.
- Collegial, professional approach to all matters.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job successfully.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and/or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift or move office products and supplies, up to 20 pounds.
No travel is required for this position
Authorized to work in the United States of America.
The BAM Companies provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The BAM Companies complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.